- Having an unpaid tax lien can result in you losing your home through foreclosure.
- You should check your deed and mortgage index periodically to ensure continuity with official records in the Registerâ€™s Office.
- You should carefully read each line of your property tax bill.
- You should know the exact location where your original deed is kept.
- When in doubt, call the Financial Crime “Fraud” Protection Office number: 973-266-7220
- This Office abides by the Open Public Records Act (OPRA), which is the Stateâ€™s Statue which governs the publicâ€™s access to government records in New Jersey.
- If you misplaced or lost your original deed, you can purchase your own certified copies from the Register’s Office without the use of a third party.
- The only certified copy is the one with the raised gold seal.